My Blog List

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I try to make my furniture unique.  One way is to incorporate unique molding designs.  I try to ferret out different companies that make unusual trim but sometimes the most fun comes from making my own.  A lot of times I use a combination of molding profiles to create something more complex.  It takes a little time and a willingness to just sit, take the time, and play.  I keep a box of scraps and end cuts of things that I have done and then just try them in differing combinations to see what I can come up with. 

Sometimes it might be just a simple pattern repeated or turned upside down that will create a spark.  I've tried also to use large molding elements but scale them down. A pediment for over a door turns into a eye catching idea for a picture frame. etc.....

Just using router bits alone you can come up with countless imaginative ideas.  If you keep a box of "idea seeds" as I do, then you won't have to get your router out to try new ideas, just use your "puzzle" box.

I took some pictures of some of the "scap" piece in combination to show their new life.
Some of the things you try will not work out and others may surprise you.  All the things on this table I thought were  good enough to use in various projects.  It has been standard practice to "build up" larger moldings using stock elements.  Crown moldings are often done this way on higher ceilings which require larger elements because of the height of the room.

One such molding you can see I made up from five pieces.  The central piece is a piece of 4" cherry cove molding which looked skimpy atop an office with ten foot ceilings.  Now it looks grand and in proportion to the height of the room.  However, it did necessitate going around the room three times to add the pieces.  Here are the pictures...........enjoy... All these show two or more pieces in combination.





No comments:

Post a Comment